Sunday 22 August 2010

Some Thoughts



I have been rereading this blog. It is quite fascinating to revisit my early posts from over three years ago. Sometimes my feelings and views regarding the Czech Republic, my second country, have remained constant and indeed grown, and sometimes those early impressions have proved wrong or in some cases circumstances in the Czech Republic have changed and made my posts out-of-date. But then a blog is basically a journal that you broadcast on the internet and as with all diaries the changes are part of the interest. But I hope and believe that the one thing that has not changed is my love of this country and its people. Maybe I see things better now, understand more, but that has not reduced my affection.

I have always felt strangely at home in the Czech Republic. I think that is partly because, unlike many other expats I have chosen to live in the countryside rather than in the big cities of Brno and Prague. I am by nature and birth a country girl and the Czech countryside (as various posts attest) reminds me of the English countryside of my childhood. And in living here, I return to my childhood and some of that childish wonder, which I lost as I grew older.

What I didn't expect with creating a new home in Czecho was how it would impact on my feelings about England. I love England for all sorts of reasons and of course I am at home there too. But there is now a part of me that is, dare I say it, Czech. Not properly Czech of course, that would never happen, but part certainly. I am at home in both countries (in different ways perhaps), but it is also the case that I am not at home. When I am in England, after a while I find myself longing to get back to the Czech Republic. I long for the mists rising from the Czech forests, for the smell of mushrooms in firwoods, for the night-time silence surrounding my Czech home, for Czech sunlight, for being able to write again and for a thousand other wonders. And of course when I am in Czecho I miss England. I miss understanding the language, the banter, I miss the subtle pastel shades of the English landscape and of course the wind. Perhaps this means I appreciate both my countries more; I hope so. And whilst I can afford to retain a foot in both countries there is no problem and every advantage in my situation. I just dread the day when that is no longer the case, when I must choose.

1 comment:

Andrew@GoOverseas said...

Hi,

I couldn't find any contact information so I decided to leave a comment here.

I'm Andrew Dunkle and I currently serve as the senior editor of GoOverseas.com. We are contacting you with regard to your blog, which the editorial staff at GO! Overseas has selected as one of the top travel related blogs in the Czech Republic. As recognition of your outstanding writing skills we are delighted to include your blog in a select list of websites representing the Czech Republic. We select only the most exceptional blogs that meet our exacting standards and we hope you feel a sense of pride that you have been recognized for your efforts. You may view this list on our website here:

http://www.gooverseas.com/czech-republic-blogs

You are welcome to display one of the image badges we have created specifically for blogs we feature in the Czech Republic. This is an easy way to let your readers know that you have been recognized as an outstanding blogger. Contact us to receive a badge via email.

Thank you for all the high quality content you have contributed to the global online community. We look forward to continuing to follow your experiences abroad in the Czech Republic. If you have questions about GO! Overseas please don't hesitate to contact us.

Warm regards,
Andrew Dunkle

--
Andrew Dunkle
Senior Editor
www.gooverseas.com
www.facebook.com/GoOverseas
twitter.com/GoOverseas

Email: andrew@gooverseas.com
Phone: +1 (510) 917 2982
Skype: andrewdunkle

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...